Saturday, February 24, 2007

 

re- + laxāre

This morning, our coach gave us the following 2,250-yard main set:
6 x 25 kick
1 x 150 free
6 x 25 catch up drill
2 X 150 free
6 x 25 EZ back
3 X 150 free
6 x 25 stroke
4 x 150 free
6 x 25 double arm back
Since we had to swim each set of 150s at progressively faster intervals, I tried as much as possible to: 1) relax; 2) mentally avoid playing catch up with the leader; and 3) focus on stroke length and rate.

This week, I am reading the deliciously distinctive pop-culturally oriented essays in Never Drank the Kool-Aid.
When developing his profiles, Touré handles subjects/topics/issues like a seasoned book discussion group leader. He writes:
I interview people as if I'm talking to a friend, being relaxed and folksy and familiar. I like to let the conversation take the shape that my subject wants it to take. I guide it here and there, but I'm always trying to make it a casual journey, and I'm always trying to sense what they want to talk about. I always listen closely and respond to what they want to say rather than just running down a list of questions and having a structured back and forth. Good interviewing isn't really about the questions you ask, it's about follow-ups. Through active listening I often get people to tell me things I wouldn't have known to ask them.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?